The SA Government has an Employment tax incentive known as ETI. The benefits for you as a property is that you would have the opportunity to claim up to R100 per month for each trainee you take on, The ETI has been extended to 2029.
BBBEE- Employers have the opportunity to claim the monthly stipend amount as a contribution to their skills scorecard under category B. If the employer chooses to pay for the tuition component for the trainee, the employer would have the opportunity to claim the combination of the tuition amount and stipend under the same category. This option Is not mandatory but a choice for the employer.
- The property will gain financial benefit due to the salary structure, for the salary structure presents itself to the property in the form of financial gain.
- The property has the opportunity to select prospective trainees that have gone through a pre-screening process, ensuring a specific calibre of trainee for appointment.
- The opportunity to guide and coach the trainee according to the ethos of the property.
- The property will benefit from the knowledge the student the student gains through their academic studies: correct processes and procedures, cost saving, superior guest relations etc.
- On site visits are scheduled by a Student Facilitator to provide the student and property with support.
- The trainees pay for their own studies, or as per point 2 above, the property has the option to pay for the trainees studies (note this is not mandatory)
Employment Tax Incentive Example:
|Year 1||Year 2|
|Hospitality Minimum wage with more than |
10 employees (Monthly)
|R 3897.20*||R 3897.20*|
|Monthly Employment Tax Incentive (ETI)||(R 1000)||(R 500)|
|Net Salary Effect Monthly Basis||R 2897.20||R 3 397.20|
*Calculation based on the National Minimum Wage Act of 2018, and applied on 21.65 working days in a month.
**Note this minimum wage for year 2 is for calculation purposes, and is based on the 2018/2019 minimum sectoral determined wage.
- School leavers with National Senior Certificate with Higher Certificate admission, or equivalent.
- Students with a passion for the hospitality or culinary industry, but not necessarily having experience.
- Applicants are between the ages of 18 and 26 years old, and are South African citizens.
- English as a first or second language in Grade 12.
- Would have attended Workplace Foundation Training covering, Basic Skills training in preparation for their work placement.
- Successful candidates will commence their programme with International Hotel School either in February or July, and will start at the placement properties after their initial Workplace Foundation Training in March or August.
- Successful trainees will be required to work standard industry hours- in line with the Gazetted Basic Conditions of Employment Act: Sectorial Determination for the Hospitality Sector (including night shifts, public holidays and Sundays).
International Hotel School
- Responsible for the recruitment and pre-selection process of the prospective students, to verify and ensure the quality of the candidate.
- A further shortlist Facilitator to a Student to support them and visit the trainee at the property.
- Support the students’ academic development through online lectures and tutorials.
- Final interviews for selection of the trainees are held on campus as panel interviews, or scheduled as one-on-one interviews at the property. The interviews need to be conducted by a person who has been briefed on the programme.
- Assign a mentor to the trainee/group of trainees. Doing so, leads to achieving greater success to the benefit of the Students and the property.
- The Work Integrated Learning modules require the trainees to rotate between the different departments, and to the released from work to attend tutorials and exams. Notice of when this will occur will be communicated to the property.
- Trainees are subject to the same staff disciplinary code, as employees of the property.
- Provide feedback to the school on conduct and performance on a regular basis.
Type of study: 2- year programme
For more information on our Traineeship Programmes click here...